Update v220.127.116.1173 is here! Please read below for a list of what’s changed.
Since the last Update in August, the team has continued to work flat out to improve the game’s performance even further and continuing to deal with issues reported by our community. Update #2 goes live on Steam TODAY and I’ve got a heads-up for you of what it’s got to offer.
The techies have continued beavering away, and we’ve been diligently testing the results of their labours. Here’s the average results that we’re seeing by testing the Career Mode in normal gameplay conditions:
20-35% increase across the board on 720p, standard settings
15-20% increase across the board on 1080p, standard settings
50-60% increase across the board on 720p, standard settings
15-25% increase across the board on 1080p, standard settings
Please note that these results are from comparing the new build to the current Steam build (i.e. Update #1).
The latest gains have come (as before) from a lot of general optimisations and bug fixes, but the main boost has been from the first stage of multithreading the game engine – a much-needed engine upgrade that’s been in the pipeline for a long time, and is now under way. The initial stage, “decoupling the renderer” is in this update, and led to significant framerate improvements. Further multithreading work is ongoing and will result in future performance benefits.
You may notice that Carmageddon: Reincarnation looks very different from the last update! We’ve made numerous rendering improvements to give Carmageddon its sexy new look.
We’ve been improving the ped audio, they should now sound far more terrified!
The peds have been given some attention to sort out some of their dodgy behaviour.
We’ve added some extra ramps and bridges to the city levels, which should help some of the heavy vehicles navigate the rooftops.
Many of the gaps in the Snow levels have been filled in, this was done to help reduce the frustration of driving around these areas. And in the Rig Wreck level, some snagging issues on ramps have been fixed.
We’ve made several tweaks and changes to car to car combat, as well as changing some of the caps on some of the PUps to make the overall multiplayer experience more balanced and fair. Offensive PUp barrels will now give you a random (offensive) PowerUp. This levels the playing field, so that more experienced players can’t go and farm the most powerful PUps.
Car Crusher Rule Changes
Car Crusher Repair and Recover costs are now far more expensive to balance the game mode.
Fox ‘n’ Hounds Rule Changes
We’ve tweaked the Fox ‘n’ Hounds rules in regards to Recovery, based on feedback we’ve been getting from the Community on how to make the MP games even more fun. Now, if you’re the Fox and you recover, either by recovering yourself or from an automatic recovery such as being flung out of the world, you will lose the Fox and it will get transferred to the player closest to you. This change eliminates the “exploit”, where a player can gain an advantage by recovering in various circumstances. (The old rules of the Fox going to the player currently last when wrecking the Fox still stands). And finally, the amount of time lost due to being wrecked in Fox n Hounds is reduced.
As a general improvement (and to avoid the Fox ‘n’ Hounds rule change leading to unfairness), you can now “Wobble Recover” at any speed, including when you are in the air! (You still need to be upside down in order to do this.)
There are now multiple save slots! This means you can now restart the Career should you so desire to.
There is a new extra slow modifier for the Camera movement in Action Replay. Press Alt + direction to use it.
Good news! We have partial support for the Steam Controller, so if you have one, give it a go! The controls all work, we just haven’t set up Haptic Feedback yet.
We’ve fixed lots of localisation bugs, especially for German and Russian.
We’ve been improving the overall look and feel to the Frontend menus.
- Erroneous and non-functional profile button removed from the collectibles menu and from the Pause Menu Multiplayer Player List
- Loading activity animation added to the loading screen between the race and the game menu
- Numerous fixes to translations, especially Russian and German
- Stuttering and hang issues
- Numerous bugs to do with ped behaviour
- Tweaks to the various culling options
- Garage lighting tweaks
- HUD fixes for the minimap
- Motion Blur setting wasn’t working correctly
- The black frame around the main map wouldn’t resize itself correctly when changing the aspect ratio
- The PowerUp Purchasing ticker text was incorrect
- Black squares sometimes appeared when Depth of Field was turned on
- Depth of Field tweaked
- Dialog boxes didn’t auto fit to text
- Respawning after being wrecked may continue to play the fire sound
- Tweaks to camera behaviour
- Some of the peds face and hand textures didn’t match the skin tone of their body
- Peds could be in the wrong pose if it came to rest out of view
- Screen Resize feature added
- Gamma slider now works correctly
- Music would continue when pressing alt-tab
- Peds screams tweaked
- Career grid could end up with Random Car images if the car selection was set to Random in Freeplay before entering Career
- The number of tokens owned would be reported incorrectly if an event was aborted after having picked up a token in that event
- Career leaderboards now defaults to the friends filter instead of all
- Fixes to credits earned in Career when restarting an event
- Mini leaderboard in the Career was sometimes reporting an incorrect error message
- Changing visual settings via the “pause” menu in multiplayer would cause the darkened screen effect to remain when returning to the race
- Vehicle acceleration was sometimes affected in Multiplayer after a significant desync
- Sometimes unable to join a multiplayer game when using the Steam overlay
- Silent But Deadly is now available in Multiplayer
- The amount of uses of offensive pups and the amount you can hold at any one time have been reduced
- Car Crusher Repair and Recover costs are now far more expensive to balance the game mode
- Contents of Red Barrels are now Random in Multiplayer
- Players will now lose the Fox if they recover and the amount of time lost due to being wrecked is reduced
- Extra slow modifier for the Camera movement in Action Replay
- Various light fixes within Bleak City Outskirts and Business District
- Geometry gap in MagNuChem Reprocessor which allowed cars inside of the geometry
- Ramps and bridges have been added to the Bleak City levels to help aid slower and heavier vehicles to navigate them
- Concrete tank traps removed from the beach in National Park, Dusty Trails due to causing audio issues
- Rig Wreck ramps, some snagging issues and ice cracks have been tweaked to improve gameplay
- Towmeister retained a collision shape for his jaws even though they had been snapped off
- Damaged car parts were sometimes in the wrong place during and after using Action Replay
- Choosing a skin and then getting into a car wouldn’t keep the skin selection
- Siamese Dream didn’t update its collision box properly
- De-rimmed tyres occasionally appeared on the same hub as an undamaged one after repairing
- Vehicles have had further optimisation
- Edits and improvements to Crazor
- Tweaks to the overall damage factor to make cars be less “tough”
- Wobble recover is available at any speed